top of page
  • Paul Anthony Jones


(n.) the open space or archway formed by the supporting piers of a bridge

The struts that hold a bridge up? They’re called piers. And the arched space formed between them? That’s a jowel.

Or at least it is in a handful of the northern dialects of England, including Yorkshire and parts of Lakeland, where this word has apparently clung onto existence for a century or so since it was recorded in the English Dialect Dictionary. (Appropriately enough, the picture we used to illustrate this word on Twitter is a picture of Yorkshire’s spectacular Ribblehead Viaduct.)

Etymologically, is this jowel located beneath a bridge related to the jowl located beneath a person’s face? It’s a nice idea, but alas, no.

A person’s jowl was their cholle in Middle English (which is why you might sometimes hear them called chollers in some dialects today, especially in reference to a dog). That word is of unclear origin, but is probably derived from the same ancient root as gullet.

The jowel of a bridge is thought to come from joug, or earlier jouelle, an old French word for a cattle yoke. The image is a clear one; two piers are ‘yoked’ together at the top of the bridge, but fork downwards to form two separate pillars like the two sides of an agricultural yoke.

Hi! We’re currently updating the HH blog, including all the tags (below). But with over 700 posts to reformat, well—apologies, this might take a while... 

For now, you can browse the back catalogue using all the tags from the blogposts we’ve already completed; this list will grow as more blogs are brought up to date.


Thanks for your patience in the meantime—and any problems or questions, just let us know at

bottom of page